Sunday, March 27, 2011

2011 Cricket World Cup: Ricky Ponting hoping for a 'rebirth' to match Sachin Tendulkar's

 

Demands for Ponting's resignation were louder before his gritty hundred in the quarterfinal loss to Tendulkar's Indian squad, which still ensured Australia's worst World Cup run in two decades but salvaged his own career.

Now the 36-year-old Ponting says he's hopeful of a late-career revival.

"I guess with even making some runs in this last game that I've played and getting that really good feeling back about my batting again, hopefully it might be a bit of a kickstart for a Tendulkar-sort rebirth, if you like," Ponting said.

After admitting his nine year reign as Australian captain could end if the Australian selectors felt it was time to go, Ponting said he had decided the time of his own retirement.

"I'll know the right time that it's time for me to not be playing any more and I haven't found that time just yet," Ponting said.

Ponting strongly hinted on his arrival at Sydney Airport on Sunday that his is considering his future. He appeared to acknowledge that a planned review by Cricket Australia of the Australian team's recent loss of form might take the decision from him and recommend his removal as captain.

"Even though we're out early, it's nice to be home and I'll have the opportunity over the next couple of days to reflect on where things are headed for me and certainly what direction I feel things are heading for the betterment of Australian cricket," Ponting said.

"Every decision I've ever made was always with Cricket Australia's thoughts at the front of my mind. It's always been about putting the team before me.

"The direction of my thoughts will be along those lines the next couple of days."

Ponting has won three World Cups, and was captain in the last two winning campaigns when Australia didn't drop a game. Back-to-back losses to Pakistan and India within six days ended a run of 34-unbeaten World Cup matches for the Aussies.

Ponting has been one of Australia's most successful captains, but recently his record has been slipping — three Ashes series defeats in four series has proved costly to his popularity in Australia. Now Australia will drop off its perch in ODI cricket, too.

Ponting's statistics as a batsman remain impressive — he has 13,288 runs in 359 ODIs dating back to 1995, although his 104 against India at Ahmedabad last week was his first century in 13 months. He also has 12,363 runs in test cricket, with 39 hundreds.

In terms of centuries and runs scored in international cricket he's second only to Indian great Tendulkar, who is aiming for his 100th international century when India play Pakistan in the semifinals on Wednesday.

Tendulkar, who will turn 38 next month, has more than 18,000 runs in ODIs and 14,692 in tests in a career that dates back to 1989.

But what Ponting said about a Tendulkar-like rebirth might indicate a shift in his position as captain. Tendulkar had a wretched run as India captain from 1996-2000, winning only 23 of 73 ODIs in that span and four of 25 test matches. Since relinquishing those duties, Tendulkar's form and confidence have flourished.

That could be playing on Ponting's mind, particularly after acknowledged the increasingly virulent debate in Australia about his future.

"The last couple of weeks there's been a few differing opinions out in the papers and out in the news about me and my future as leading the team," he said. "It's been nice the last week especially to hear some endorsement from Cricket Australia and the selectors about that position.

"But that's where the next few days are crucial to me as well. I have to really decide what I think is right for me and the team going forward.

"I still think I've got a lot to offer the team as a player and a leader."

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment