Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pakistan's Zulqarnain Haider 'set to withdraw UK asylum claim'

The former Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider is reportedly set to withdraw his application for asylum, more than six months after fleeing to the UK following alleged death threats from illegal betting syndicates.


The Pakistan newspaper The News quoted a letter written by Haider to the home secretary, Theresa May, days after his brother Aqeel was quoted in the Pakistan Daily Mail saying that the interior minister Rehman Malik had given assurances over the safety of his family.


Haider reportedly wrote: "In light of the assurances that I have received, I feel that I no longer need sanctuary in the UK and have accordingly decided to withdraw my claim for asylum. I am aware that my asylum claim remains outstanding and has not been determined as yet. I am particularly thankful to the Scotland Yard for providing me excellent security and for remaining in regular contact with me to ensure my well-being."


In November of last year, Haider made an unexpected departure to the UK midway through a one-day series against South Africa, citing threats from underworld betting syndicates over fixing matches in that series. After claims that he would expose elements of fixing within Pakistan cricket, he announced his retirement from international cricket – having played one Test and four ODIs – prompting the Pakistan Cricket Board to impose a life ban. However, Haider says his actions were aimed only at encouraging policy change at a time when international opinion over Pakistan's handling of match-fixing was at its lowest.


The letter continued: "Anything that I have ever said has been aimed at bringing improvements and reforms to the board, not only to ensure greater professionalism and a commitment to transparency but in order that the board fulfil the rightful expectations of the nation."


Aqeel had hinted at a return to cricket for the wicketkeeper when he said earlier: "Now my brother will return to the country and will sit with the PCB officials and discuss about his future. If he is assured of his 'safe' place in the team, Zulqarnain is ready to revoke his retirement decision."


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment